Mada's block is inspired by Gee's Bend quilts. It is 24 x 24 inches. We were given a starting block and a bag of scraps. The strip could be 1 - 3 inches wide, alternating dark and light. Every other stripe need a piecing. We need to use each fabric at least once.
This first pair of Jeans is interesting. It is McCalls 5142. There are a many alteration points and the instructions refer you to the designer's book on alternation. I found this some what difficult to follow.
Despite my basting an trying before I sewed the waist band is 3 inches too large. I think I might have sewed it on upside down. Also, I stopped and started these so many times my notes are messy. So I made more notes.
Safety pins on both sides and your shirt over the waistband they are wearable for Saturday chores.
This year CJMQG is has chosen Elizabeth Hartman's book Patchwork City for this years Quilt-A-Long. The book contains 75 blocks. Members can design their own quilt. I am going to do a scrap quilt. Each of my "block" is a randomly selected 5x14, 8x8 and 5x8. I have an array of fabrics which I will swap in and out. Every set will have have the floral cat print, light blue denim and white.
Block 7: I did not like the square. I choose a modern wonky chevron.
Block 8: I did not read the directions and cut and sewed the half square triangles incorrectly. Since I don't know if I will have enough fabric to redo the block. I followed advice I learned at the last Quilt Alliance - cut up the block and make something new.
This is my Alabama Chanin prototype. I used double knit jersey and quilting thread. It is periwinkle. I used color on color applique. The motifs were from the reverse side of the fabric so the reflect light with a slightly different color.
I used a lettuce edge finish instead of raw edges.
I like this snail stitch, but sometimes it untwisted.
I took a class to learn how to hand blow ornaments, where a blow torch was used to heat the glass. This was much more difficult then I expected. Glass is finicky. My first ornament broke because it suffered shock from too much thermal change. The amount size and amount of fritz, the shattered glass bit added for color, changes the amount of breath you need get it to expand. You need to blow correctly, in small puffs.
Here are the results. The broken was my first attempt. I saved it because I love the color. The two that a ball shaped had the fine powdered fritz. Using the heavier fritz, I ended up with large Christmas light bulbs.
I have some ideas on how to improve my technique. I might try this class again next year.